ARML-NYSML Contests 1989-1994
This book contains the problems from 1989 to 1994 from two highly-regarded national and regional mathematics competitions in the United States. The variety of formats (such as the team and relay problems) contribute to the wide appeal of these contests. The problems range from short answer questions to challenging multi-part power questions.
What the reviewers say
- Theodore M. Alper on Amazon.com
- "The quality of the question writing is superb. This book is an attractive presentation of several years worth of questions. It's ideal for a local math team or teacher to mine for practice problems or for anyone to read for insight!"
- George Berzensyi from the foreword
- "The mathematical experiences of the last few ARML meets and the closely related NYSML contests are faithfully represented in this volume. These contests should provide many hours of pleasure and instruction, and inspire further investigations by all enthusiasts of this superb competition, as well as by others interested in creative problem solving."
- Loren C. Larson from The American Mathematical Monthly 104(1997)480
- "These contest problems for high school students range from short answer questions to challenging multi-part problems requiring in-depth analysis and original thinking. All problems are original; instructive solutions."
- Stanley Rabinowitz from the publisher's preface
- "The authors are well-known for their interesting and original problems. When they present a talk at a mathematics conference, people flock to fill up the room to see their lively presentation. This excitement carries over to the problems that they create."
- Medhat H. Rahim from School Science and Mathematics 98(1998)49-50
- "The text is well organized in a user-friendly format. It is clearly written, with a spice of challenges; I very much enjoyed reading the text and trying many of the problems. The solutions provided are chosen for their instructional value rather than being the shortest ones."
- "The ARML and NYSML competitions are among the most exciting and thought-provoking mathematical events int he world at the high school level."
Buy this book
go to MathPro Press Bookstore
go to MathPro Press home page
accesses since February 2006