Leningrad Mathematical Olympiads 1987-1991
This book is representative of the oldest and most prestigious competitions held in the former Soviet Union. This material, formerly unavailable to the Western world, is now accessible in English for the first time.
What the reviewers say
- Charles Ashbacher on Amazon.com
- "Not only is this collection an excellent source of challenge type problems for use in middle and high school classes, competitions and clubs, they also provide insight into the level of mathematics instruction in Russia. While some of the problems are of course taxing, they are well stated and many rely more on insight rather than the application of heavy mathematical skill."
- "If you are looking for problems to challenge middle or high school students, this is a very good place to search."
- Loren C. Larson from The American Mathematical Monthly 104(1997)479-480
- "An outstanding collection of inviting challenging problems graded by level of difficulty from middle school to high school. Many are sutiable for undergraduate 'Problems-of-the-Week' recreations."
- Jósef Pelikán from Crux Mathematicorum with Mathematical Mayhem 23(1997)78-80
- "All in all this book is very well written, full of interesting problems and I warmly recommend it to anyone interested in mathematical competitions, or just in nice problems."
- Stanley Rabinowitz from the publisher's preface
- "I was awestruck by the novelty of these problems. As I was reading through the problems, there were many times when I just had to stop reading because I wanted to work on the problem I had just read or I just had to drop everything to peek at the solution."
- Medhat H. Rahim from School Science and Mathematics 98(1998)48-49
- "The quality and challenge of the numerous proposed problems made this text an excellent resource for brainstorming. Students in preservice mathematics courses, as well as those in formal mathematics classes, will certainly enjoy the beauty, power, and challenge of the problem-solving exercises embedded in these competitions."
- "The feeling of joy and happiness that overwhelmed me while reading this text is inexpressible in a few sentences."
- Mark Saul from the foreword
- "The Leningrad Olympiads are among the most exciting and interesting mathematical events in the world on the pre-college level. The problems in this volume represent significant mathematical thought by some of the most able minds of their country."
Buy this book
go to MathPro Press Bookstore
go to MathPro Press home page
accesses since February 2006